Monday, February 22, 2010

Ode to an amazing mom...

I just have stop and give some credit to my friend Tanya (the same who watched Connor for us on V-day) who is an amazing mom. Let me tell you just one instance that illustrates my point.

A few days after Valentine's Day our friend Kristie in our ward needed some help moving. Tanya, having 2 kids and one on the way, offered to babysit (for free, needless to say) for moms in our ward who wanted to go over and help. My friend Becky and I decided we could get a lot done if we went over together and asked Tanya if she would be ok watching both Connor and Kevin, Becky's 8-month-old boy. Tanya was so willing and actually appeared excited - though maybe she is cursing us (well, me) now... sorry Tanya. Connor has been having a bit of a problem with separation anxiety, but I thought it was getting a little better. As Becky and I were leaving Tanya's house, Connor started to cry but Tanya assured us that she would be just fine. Reluctantly, we left her with her 4-year-old boy Andrew, 2-year-old girl Aly, 8-month-old Kevin, and 4-month-old crying Connor, promising we wouldn't be gone long.

When we returned a little over an hour later this is what we saw when we walked in... Andrew was watching a movie, Aly was playing on the floor with some toys, Connor (who had been screaming most of the hour) was sleeping in a swing that Tanya was bouncing with her foot while feeding Kevin in a high chair. (I knew Connor had been crying most of the time we were gone because I asked Andrew, who replied, "Oh yes he did!" I knew I would get the honest answer from the 4-year-old. :) ) I mentioned she's pregnant, too, right? And apparently Connor cried long and loud enough that he also upset Kevin. So she had 2 crying children at one point, and she was able to put one baby to sleep, feed the other, and take care of her 2 kids all in one hour!

Tanya is an amazing mom with incredible multi-tasking skills, and her cute kids are so sweet. I hope I'm just like her when we add a few more to our family. Thanks again Tanya!! (And I promise to never do that to you again!)

3 comments:

jlbunting.com said...

Yes, thank you Tanya! You are awesome. I wish you could have included a recording of Andrew's voice and the way he said, "Oh, yes he did!" Too cute!

Amber said...

Yay for Tanya! Miss you!

korth fam said...

Oh Danielle, you are waaay to nice. It really wasn't a big deal and Connor is such a cutie, I'd do it again. I don't believe I've ever had anyone write an ode to me, I admit I teared up a little...we'll blame the hormones :) I love your whole fam!