Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

On this, my first Mother's Day, I can't help but reflect on my life as a new mom. While it definitely has its challenges (many, many challenges!), I can't help but count my blessings and see how wonderful and happy life is with our little boy. He is truly the joy of our lives and we are so happy we can call him ours! He's super cute (to us; if you think so too, icing :) ) and he brings so much happiness into our home. He is growing by the day and the time goes too fast, for sure. I love being a mom. Pre-Connor, I never knew I could love another person this much. (Are you gagging? Sorry, it's my Mother's Day.)



I love, love, love this poem from a friend's blog. It's perfect for my Mother's Day:

You are my I love you
Author: Maryann K Cusimano
I am your parent you are my child
I am your quiet place, you are my wild
I am your calm face, you are my giggle
I am your wait, you are my wiggle
I am your audience, you are my clown
I am your London Bridge, you are my falling down
I am your Carrot Sticks, you are my licorice
I am your dandelion, you are my first wish
I am your water wings, you are my deep
I am your open arms, you are my running leap
I am your way home, you are my new path
I am your dry towel, you are my wet bath
I am your dinner you are my chocolate cake
I am your bedtime, you are my wide awake
I am your finish line, you are my race
I am your praying hands, you are my saving grace
I am your favourite book, you are my new lines
I am your nightlight, you are my sunshine
I am your lullaby, you are my peek-a-boo
I am your kiss goodnight, you are my I love you

Especially now that I'm a mom, I have a whole new perspective on my own mother. Wow. What a wonderful mom I have! I have so much more understanding now that I know what I put her through!

So, to my mom, you are amazing. You made this motherhood thing look easy but now I know, IT'S NOT!! (What else did you lie about, liar?! :) ) I envy your organization, patience, punctuality, and cleanliness. You taught me everything I know about cooking, sewing, reading, service, this list is too long to keep going! Your willingness and enthusiasm as our family's chauffeur, pack mule, maid, cook, bank, sports manager, teacher, travel agent, and santa clause is inspiring. Mom, I only wish I can eventually be half the mom you always are. Now that you're a grandma, I'm glad that Connor and Jaxson will have the opportunity to learn from you too. You truly are amazing.




This is a poem I wrote for my mom for Mother's Day: (there are several inside jokes, so some may not understand)

My Favorite Teacher

You taught me to sew, you taught me to cook,
You taught me to read and find a good book.

You taught me to play ball, you taught me to clean,
You taught me to be nice, and never be mean.

You taught me hard work, you taught me good manners,
You taught me to budget and keep up a planner.

You taught me to listen, what you say goes,
You taught me to love my Morton toes.

You taught me to decorate, you taught me to see

That when something looks wrong, shout “This offends me!”

You taught me rejecting peer pressure is ok,
And when it comes to school work, get an A.

You taught me to behave, always do what I should

You taught me “Good honk!” like no other could.


You taught me service, you taught me charity,
You taught me of Christ with perfect clarity.


You taught me to love, you taught me to mother,
You taught me to sing to sweet baby Connor.


You taught me my whole life, always showing me how

And the best part is you’re still teaching me now.


You are my favorite teacher, you teach me everyday.

I just want to wish you, Happy Mother’s Day!



I love you mom!


And for all the other moms and women that have made a difference in others' lives, here is a quote from the late President Gordon B. Hinckley that I shared in my Young Women Mother's Day lesson yesterday.

“Woman is God’s supreme creation. Only after the earth had been formed, after the day had been separated from the night, after the waters had been divided from the land, after vegetation and animal life had been created; and after man had been placed on the earth, was woman created; and only then was the work pronounced complete and good.”

Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful women out there!

4 comments:

E.F.G. said...

so many thoughts. i have to make a list.
1. love that 1st pic of you with connor. you look quite radiant.
2. motherhood is not easy. i love when people throw about the "2nd nature" stuff. sure some of it is second nature but so much more is learn as you go, wing it, just don't drop the baby, read, advice from family/friends, etc.
3. we do have amazing mom's, huh? that alda must have been doing many somethings right.
4. elder & sister holland attended church in harlem this sunday. they both spoke briefly, mainly about mothers, and elder holland said, "the closest you can get to understanding the Savior's love is that of a mother's!"
5. happy first mother's day.

Anonymous said...

So sweet! I never knew you were a poet! Good job! Happy Mothers day! :)

Amber said...

Congrats on your first Mother's Day! I hope it was wonderful!

Unknown said...

I love that pic of your mommy!