Sunday, June 17, 2012

January and February

January was fairly low-key.  After New Year's, we spent most of January recovering from our Christmas vacations, and Connor and I took one small trip to Cedar City with Brenda and Cami (Brad's mom and sister) January 25-28 so Cami could take her nursing school exam. I didn't get any pictures, but it was a fun trip with a little bit of hiking in southern Utah.

February was a crazy month.  We did a lot of fun things, and a few not-so-fun things.

We started off the month - Sunday, February 5 - with Brandon and Jen's daughter's baby blessing.  Alexis was so beautiful in her blessing dress and was a champ during her blessing. (You can see the beginnings of a baby bump - this is me almost 19 weeks pregnant.)


Then we started celebrating Valentine's Day.  February 9 was a MOMS Club activity decorating  valentine boxes/bags and passing out valentines to our friends.



Valentine's Day was great. Connor and I visited Treehouse Museum while Brad was at work, and I made dinner and dessert for Brad that night - Malibu chicken, asparagus, and spinach salad with strawberries. Dessert was homemade chocolate fondue with strawberries, bananas, and rice crispy treats for dipping ("rice kiss-me treats" according to Connor). :)


Connor riding the bull at Treehouse.

Fun Valentine fact involving my kid(s) - it was on Valentine's Day 2009 that I found out I was pregnant with Connor, and Valentine's Day 2012 I was exactly 20 weeks pregnant (half way done!) with baby boy #2.This ultrasound was taken Feb. 13, 1 day short of 20 weeks.  The picture of me was taken on Valentine's Day.
20 weeks exactly on Valentine's Day!  Half way done!

A couple days later, we took another one of our frequent walks around the neighborhood. It was starting to get warm and it was BEAUTIFUL outside, so I had to take some pictures.  One of Connor's favorite toys - his lawn mower - that comes with us on all our walks.

Friday, Feb. 17, we met my cousin Alex and his wife and kids (Maryanne, Craig, and Brooke) at the Children's Museum in Salt Lake. We went to lunch at California Pizza Kitchen after. We all had a great time!  (Sorry, these are phone pictures.)
 


Saturday, Feb. 18, Connor went to his first friend birthday party! Jackson Trujillo lives across the street from us and we go to the park together all the time. He turned 4 and had a super-hero party with toys, presents, coloring, lunch (corn dogs and fruit), cake and ice cream. Connor had way too much fun, he didn't want to leave at the end.

Birthday boy Jackson, his brother Lincoln in the middle, their friend Alex at the left.


Their friend Josh (who meets us at the park frequently, too). How cute is he?!
Wednesday, February 29 we celebrated Leap Day by going to the last free admission day at Hogle Zoo for the winter (every last Wednesday of the month between October and February).


Then something not so fun...  When this first happened, I wasn't going to blog about it but now that it's been a few months and the sting is gone, I sort of want it on the record. It was quite at ordeal! On February 22, I got the scariest call you can get - Brad's boss, Phil, called me and told me Brad was injured at work! He told me Brad had been unconscious for a bit and had some "lacerations" on his face. He said they didn't know at that point what happened because no one was around when it happened, but Brad was conscious again and cracking jokes (that's my Brad :) ), and an ambulance was taking him to the hospital. I quickly dropped Connor off at a friend's house and headed straight for Ogden Regional Hospital while calling Brad's family to tell them he was in the hospital. Worst 25 minute drive ever.

It turns out he just passed out while working in the lab and after a battery of tests (CT scan, chest x-ray, blood draw, and EKG of his heart), the doctors determined there was no real reason why (he even ate a good breakfast that morning). They said it's just one of those things. I have actually done the same thing before and know several others that have too, but unfortunately the saying "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" is true. And Brad is big. He scraped his face up pretty bad (carpet burns), broke his nose, and got pretty bad whiplash. He ended up having to get surgery to reset the bones in his nose, and we joked together for a couple weeks that he broke his smolder (have you seen Tangled?). Near as we can tell, Brad did exactly what Flynn Rider did when he falls unconscious out of Rapunzel's closet (right on his face and then screeches along the floor 'til his body straightens out), but just didn't come out looking like this after:


Instead, he looked like this:

And 2 days later, like this:

Fortunately, 2 months, 1 nose surgery, and a $20 3-inch tube of Mederma Scar Cream later, his smolder grew back handsomely. I love you Braddy! I'm glad you're ok!


We finished off February with a trip to Hogle Zoo on Leap Day, Wednesday, Feb. 29.  It was the last free admission day for the winter (last Wednesday of every month between October and February).  We went with Brenda and Cami and had a great time, even though it was a little cold still.





This turkey walked right up to us.  I asked Connor what the turkey says and he said the usual "gobble, gobble."  Right then the turkey gobbled back really loud and startled him.  He did it again and the turkey gobbled back.  We laughed.

2 comments:

jlbunting.com said...

You look so good in your 20 week picture! Glowing! I'm so glad you're posting these, it gives me encouragement that I can still catch up. For example, Kevin's turning 3 this week and I still want to post about when he turned 2. Ha! I'm glad Brad is all healed up. That's crazy! Good luck with your baby coming soon. I hope you have a short(er) labor. :)

Karen said...

Congrats on baby #2! Did you post about it earlier and I just didn't catch it? I'm excited for you to have another boy. We LOVE having two brothers so close. It's fun! I hope all continues to go well as you are making the home stretch.