Thursday, December 11, 2008

My new hobby...

I have a new hobby - crocheting. Since February of this year I have been crocheting non-stop. I just love it! Brenda, my mother-in-law, is the person who started my obsession. Brenda started me crocheting baby blankets for a foundation called Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep, a group that helps comfort families with still-borns. Brenda's friend Tara, who is in her ward in South Jordan, UT had a still-born baby in May 2007. Her little girl was 8 months along when she died of too much iron received from her mother's body. When Tara delivered her baby, a lady came into her hospital room and offered her (as a free service) a hand-crocheted baby blanket to wrap her little girl in and to keep as a memento of her. She then offered to take pictures of her little girl with Tara and her husband, also did plaster castings of her cute little hands and feet. Tara was so touched she wanted to get involved to help other families going through this trial. She is now the regional representative of the group in Utah (they are a nation-wide organization). As a memorial to her still-born daughter, she and about 15 others she enlisted set out to crochet 100 baby blankets by her daughter's one-year birthday. I was brought on in February to help in the last few months, as was my entire family (Mom, Claire, Adrienne) and several others. When May came, we had over 300! That is where my obsession started. I crocheted over 20 blankets before May (4 months) and I have been crocheting ever since.

My newest thing (as of about 2 months ago) that I taught myself how to do is crochet baby beanies (hats). My sister-in-law, Jenn, taught me how crochet cute little headbands and make flowers to attach to the headbands and beanies. I really wanted to try to sell them and about 1 week before Thanksgiving I found out a girl in my ward in El Segundo was participating in a craft fair on Main Street in El Segundo 1 week after Thanksgiving. I was crocheting like mad all during Thanksgiving break to try to build up my inventory for the fair. I made 20 beanies and 12 headbands in 2 weeks! And I was fairly successful - I sold 2 beanies for $10 each and 4 headbands for $6 each at the fair and had 2 orders for adult beanies after the fair (and because of the fair). Here are a couple of pictures!


Crocheting during Thanksgiving in Utah. The next picture is the beanie created as a result:


Here are a couple pictures from the craft fair:







I will have more pictures of my creations in my next post.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Soooo, how well did your sales go at the craft show???

Brad and Danielle said...

Pretty good. I just updated the post to share this information cuz I forgot to say when I wrote it the first time. But I sold 2 baby beanies for $10 each and 4 headbands for $6 each at the fair and I had 2 orders for adult beanies placed. So not too bad! Hopefully more people will be interested too, so spread the word! :)

Julia said...

How fun! Oh and you were in Utah for Thanksgiving too?! Too bad I didn't know, we could have hung out!

Karene said...

Hey, I just discovered your blog...what fun! I wanted to comment because my sister (who lives in Bluffdale, UT) is a photographer for Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. She's had some cool (and sad) experiences. How great that you're able to contribute with crocheting blankets!! I'm amazed that this is a relatively "new" hobby. You've gotten good at it fast! I've crocheted off and on since I was a kid but I'm still no good at it. :)

The Four on Board said...

thats amazing danielle! i had no idea thats how you started! you are so wonderful! and i wish i knew about the craft show! i would totally have LOVED to go! your beanies are adorable and Lucy LOVES hers! i am now wondering if you can do the ones with the covers over the ears and then a string around the chin?? mmm? that would be much more difficult BUT lucy would keep it on better...hehe she has become a master at pulling them off!