Tuesday, February 10, 2009

We're famous!!

So I was casually flipping channels last night and came across a news station showing "Live Breaking News" of a low-speed pursuit on the 405 Freeway southbound. Out of curiosity, I decided to watch a little longer to see if the driver of the white Bentley Flying Spur (a $100,000+ car w/ a top speed of 194 mph) was anywhere near us in El Segundo. When the news man said the driver was passing LAX, I got kind of excited... that's right by us! I watched a little longer to see the driver merge onto the 105 westbound (the freeway we take to get home from the 405) then exit on Sepulveda South - that's our exit! I ran to the window just in time to see him drive by our apartment building (1 block east of us) on Sepulveda followed by 5, or so, cop cars. I opened the window to hear the sirens driving by and 4 helicopters (3 news and 1 police) circling overhead! I ran back to the TV to see the Bentley had turned right on El Segundo Blvd (2 blocks south of us) and then right on Main Street in El Segundo (4 blocks west of us). So he had circled our apartment building, traveled down Main a couple miles until he came to Imperial Highway, he turned left (west) now heading toward the ocean. He then turned left on Vista Del Mar, drove right by Hyperion where I work, and, after traveling a few more miles, turned left on Rosecrans that eventually took him back to the 405 north. He then went back up into LA where the pursuit finally ended a couple hours later.

Apparently the guy, from Chicago, IL, was wanted for assault with a deadly weapon (a gun) on his girlfriend. Thankfully, the chase never accelerated faster than 40 mph and no one, outside of him at the end, was injured. He seemed to be a very polite driver as he even used his blinkers to signal all his turns... very considerate. :) The whole pursuit lasted about 3 hours and he was in El Segundo for about 15 minutes (that's the only part I watched).

If any of you in Southern California were watching the news around 9:30 or 10 p.m. last night, you saw our cute little city, El Segundo! I thought it was very exciting...

2 comments:

LeeElle said...

I heard the helipcopters last night and was wondering why the coast guard was taking their time to land. I'm used to the noise of planes but it didn't fade away like normal. A little while later I turned on the news and saw what all the fuss was about. woo-hoo El Segundo is getting on the map.

korth fam said...

wow I can't believe I totally missed it, must have been some gooood cough syrup I was on.