Monday, July 30, 2012

Baby Blake is here!

Blake Paul Jeppson was born Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 7:58 p.m.  He weighed 8 lb. 14 oz, and was 22.5 inches long.  Big boy!

Blake is a name Brad and I both liked (and it fit him when he was born), Paul is my dad's and my dad's dad's (my grandpa's) first name.  

I went to McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden to be induced on Thursday, June 28, five days before my due date (July 3) because I grow big babies.  I was also induced with Connor on his due date and he was 9 lb. 2 oz.  At every prenatal appointment for Blake, I measured 2 cm bigger than normal (just like I did with Connor), and at my 34 week ultrasound, Blake was already 6.5 pounds (which would have put him at about 9.5 pounds at birth 6 weeks later).  So my doctor (Dr. Margit Lister) and I decided it would be best to induce me a little early, and good thing because he would have been exactly 9 lb. 2 oz. if I waited 5 more days, exactly like Connor was.

Brad's mom, Brenda, drove to our house Wednesday night so she could watch Connor for us.  We were supposed to be at the hospital at 8 a.m. Thursday morning, but we got a call that morning to wait a couple hours because they were so busy.  So we hung out for a couple hours - we showered, pulled weeds in the yard, I cleaned the bathroom one last time (still nesting big time!), we took the last pregnancy picture of my huge belly and one last picture of us as a family of 3, and Brad gave me a priesthood blessing to help calm my nerves and bless the doctors that they would perform in their jobs well.

Last picture together as a family of 3!

We got to the hospital around 11 a.m. and as I was walking in with Brad, it really hit me that when we walk out we would have a baby!  I couldn't believe the day was actually here.  I was still a little scared, but I was ready.  Here's how the day progressed:

12 p.m. - The nurse started me on pitocin.  I was already dilated to 1 cm and 60% effaced before going to the hospital.
1 p.m. - My doctor broke my water, dilated to 2 cm.
3:45 p.m. - Got an epidural, dilated to 3 cm, just waiting.
5:45 p.m. - More waiting, dilated to 4 cm.
6:15 p.m. - Dilated to 6 cm, almost completely effaced.  Labor starting to pick up now!
7:00 p.m. - Dilated to 9+ cm, almost completely dilated, almost ready to start pushing!
7:40 p.m. - Completely dilated to 10 cm, start pushing!
7:58 p.m. - Baby Blake is born!!!  (My dad won the bet - he said Blake would come at 7:59 p.m.!)

Right when Blake came out, he was screaming.  They laid him on my tummy while they suctioned his mouth and nose.  My very first thought was how sweet my new little baby was - I loved him instantly!  My second thought was, "Wow, he doesn't look anything like Connor."  They put him on my chest and Blake continued to scream.  The doctor was trying to talk and explain things to me and I had to tell her, "I'm sorry, I can't hear a word you are saying."  Everyone laughed. 

I'm not wearing lipstick.  The only thing I could eat the whole time was ice, suckers, and popsicles.  I ate 3 double popsicles (so like 6 singles), and the only color they had was orange.  They tasted so good and refreshing but definitely turned my lips orange!

Brad cutting the umbilical cord.
Blake has CRAZY long fingers and toes.  And legs.  And body.  I guess everything about him is long!
Look at those long skinny legs!  He totally didn't fit any of the outfits I brought for him to wear home.

He finally stopped crying with skin-to-skin contact.  My sweet little baby.  I loved him so much already, I was on a totally euphoric endorphin high.

Our hospital stay was perfect.  I really liked all my nurses and the food was AMAZING!  All patients got free room service for every meal (and even snacks in between) and I could order as much food as I wanted (Brad was on his own, but I shared some of mine).  We had a few visitors while we were there - Brenda and Ady Thursday night; Brenda, Connor, Byron, and Krista Friday morning; my parents and Ady Friday afternoon; Brenda, Brian, and Cami Friday evening.  We were in the hospital from Thursday morning (June 28) until Saturday afternoon (June 30) and I really loved having those couple days with just us and Blake to bond with him. 

It's so funny how siblings can look so different.  Connor's and Blake's features seem to be switched.  Connor has my eyes and chin (Carver cleft), and Brad's ears and full lips.  Blake has Brad's eyes and chin (no cleft), and my ears and thinner lips.  Connor got my coloring and length (20"), Blake got Brad's coloring and length (23").  Genes are a funny thing!
Comparing Connor (left) and Blake (right).  They really don't look much alike to me!  We'll see as Blake gets older...

My sweet little angel.
Auntie Ady.

The nurse said his feet are so big they almost went off the edge of the ink pad.  Yep, he's a Jeppson!

I got Connor a few gifts "from Baby Blake."  I got him a toy motorcycle, a new Thomas train, chocolate kisses, and water balloons.  All his favorite things right now.  He was very excited.  Thank you dollar store. 
Daddy and his 2 boys.

Brad's Aunt Krista and Uncle Byron came to visit us.  They and their kids (Brad's cousins) are who we went on our Southern Utah trip with a few weeks ago.
The hospital photographer.  I ordered 3 pictures she took, which cost me an arm and a leg, but it is totally worth it.  The pictures are perfect.  Stay tuned to see them in a later post...
Family of 4!!

Gaga.  (My mom, Janiel)

Aunt Cami
Grandpa Brian and Grandma Brenda.

This is one of the outfits I brought for Blake to wear home.  The other was a onsie and pants with feet in them - I couldn't make up my mind which one I liked better when I was packing.  They were both newborn size, I thought my NEWBORN would fit them.  Silly me.  The pants came up about mid-thigh.  And notice how stretched the legs of this sleeper are.  At birth he fits 0-3 month clothes. 
He looks so teeny in his carseat!

One side note:  Blake was Coombs positive in the hospital (means some of my type O blood mixed with some of his type A blood and my O red blood cells form antibodies that attack his A red blood cells putting him at a higher risk for jaundice).  We monitored his bilirubin count for those couple days (5 at birth - moderate high risk, 9 Friday night - moderate low risk).  I supplemented him with formula a couple times during our hospital stay because a full belly and lots of dirty diapers helps his liver work better and decrease jaundice/bilirubins.

Blake is such a sweet baby and we love him.  From day one (even in the hospital) he has been sleeping 3-4 hour stretches at night.  He is a great eater and has been gaining weight like crazy!  Connor was pretty indifferent and seemingly disinterested about Blake in the hospital, I think because the hospital was a new and exciting place.  I'll post more about him and Blake once we bring Blake home.

We are so in love with you baby Blake!  We are so glad you have joined our family and can't wait to experience life with you and watch you grow!

4 comments: said...

Congratulations! What a sweet baby!
You look so good! Maybe I will get induced if I get to look like that.

Karen said...

What a beautiful baby!! The pictures really convey how precious and sweet he is. You got a lot of wonderful pictures of him and your family. Congratulations! I hope all is going well with him at home.

Brad and Danielle said...

Hey Karen, what is your email? I've been wanting to get in touh with u for a while but don't know how! Do u have a blog (it doesn't show up in your profile. I hope u and Kevin and the kids r doing well!

Aubrey said...

yAy!! You all look so happy! I actually thing Blake looks a little like Connor- not a ton, but I can tell they're both Jeppsons though! And he really does have long legs and fingers hahaha! So glad to hear everything went well, thanks for keeping us updated with your posts! :)